Working together to build the next generation of Software Defined Vehicles and transform the automotive industry
- Today, at 2035 E-Mobility Taiwan exhibition, MIH with its partners demonstrates the realization towards the Software-Defined Vehicles future
- MIH showcases, for the first time, its Open EV Software Platform that enables automotive developers to create applications with smartphone-like development experience, in close partnership with Arm, Microsoft and Trend Micro
October 20, 2021 – Taipei, Taiwan – It has been one year since the Open EV Platform concept was introduced by the Foxconn Technology Group and MIH Consortium has taken on the mission since July of this year to create an open EV ecosystem to transform the automotive industry.
Today, at 2035 E-Mobility Taiwan exhibition, MIH with its strategic partners demonstrated the realization towards the Software-Defined Vehicles (SDV) future. Jack Cheng, CEO at MIH Consortium revealed the Open EV Software Platform in close partnerships with Arm, Microsoft and Trend Micro.
The initial focus of the Open EV Software Platform is to enable automotive developers to create applications with smartphone-like development experience on the cloud by reducing development dependency on hardware platforms. Key software platform demonstrations at the exhibition include
- Security Platform
- Cloud Native Dev Platform
- Advanced driver-assistance systems (ADAS) / Autonomous Driving (AD) Dev Platform
- Energy Management Platform
- EEA and Runtime
- Open Marketplace
“To shorten development cycle and lower entry barrier, MIH is creating an Open EV Platform for the Software-Defined Vehicles future. The Open EV Platform consists of hardware and software that covers the full lifecycle of EV development, testing and deployment. It also enables the creation of Open EV marketplace.” said William Wei, CTO at MIH Consortium.
The Open EV Platform will result in
- Parallel software and hardware development without rebuilding the whole vehicle from the bottom up, as applications will be compatible with the underlying software platforms on multiples skateboards, which can also be upgraded to newer generations.
- A shortened development cycle as the development platform moves into the cloud with hardware simulations allowing future experience and applications to be created without hardware platforms until late in the development and testing stages.
Highlights of the Open EV Platform exhibitions and partnerships at 2035 E-Mobility
- Three new concept cars by Foxtron Vehicle Technologies demonstrated the potential of the Foxtron Open EV Platform for collaboration by all ecosystem players. “The Open EV Platform provided by Foxtron is based on the principle of sharing the platform and the cost, so that brand customers can introduce new products to the market more quickly at a lower cost. I’m excited to see MIH continuing to evolve specifications in their Working Groups and form the basis for alliance partners to follow and accelerate the development of modularized and standardized parts and sub-systems.” – Andy Lee, CEO at Foxtron
- SOAFEE, initiated by Arm and now led by the SOAFEE Special Interest Group (SIG), is a new software architecture and open-source reference implementation, and two new reference hardware platforms, included as part of the Open EV Platform. “SOAFEE will support developers who face increasing code complexity, bringing the real-time and safety needs of automotive together with the advantages of a cloud-native approach. MIH shares our vision for accelerating the software-defined future of automotive and SOAFEE, as a part of the MIH Open EV Platform, will take us one step closer toward this vision.” – Chet Babla, vice president of automotive, Automotive and IoT Line of Business at Arm.
- Microsoft Azure provides advanced cloud computing technologies to create new experience and application development for Open EV Platform. “Microsoft Azure continues to provide innovative, secure and flexible cloud services for global partners and customers. We are excited to collaborate with MIH and other partners to unlocking innovative use cases such as Vehicle-to-Grid and building a marketplace for the booming EV industry,” said Cathy Yeh, Principal PM Group Manager, Industry Clouds + Solutions, Microsoft Corp. The close collaboration between MIH and Microsoft drew the attention of Taipower. “We expect that electric vehicles will grow substantially in the next few years, which will bring great challenges and opportunities to Taipower’s consumption and dispatch. Taipower is excited to participate in the cooperation with MIH and Microsoft. The innovative application of V2G (Vehicle to Grid) makes electric vehicles an auxiliary service that can be flexibly dispatched and join Taipower’s electricity trading platform to work towards Taiwan’s carbon reduction.” – Chung-Liang Chang, Vice President / Chief Digital Officer at Taipower
- Trend Micro provides the first development and implementation of Open EV Platform’s security framework and interface based on Secure by Design concept. “The most effective way to solve the cybersecurity of connected cars is to directly adopt a development platform with Secure by Design as the design basis and cybersecurity protection mechanism. To provide a safe and secure electric vehicle developer platform, Trend Micro has also established a specialized automotive cybersecurity team to work with MIH jointly to provide Open EV Platform with the state of the art security architecture.” – Max Cheng, Executive Vice President Core Technology and CIO at Trend Micro
- More of our exhibiting partners ADLINK, Cybavo, DCT, DFI, eTreego, Great Taiwan Gear, Hsin Chong Machinery Works, iNago, KAIFA Industry, Mobile Drive, NextDrive, Nidec, PanoSim, Rescale, Sentec, Taipower, Tier IV, TomTom, and YES Energy all demonstrated the realization towards the SDV future.
Jack Cheng, CEO at MIH Consortium said “In the next generation of mobility, user-centricity is the key. To enable developers to innovate and create great user experience and applications, we must work towards a Software-Defined Vehicles future by realizing the Open EV Platform vision. MIH is powered by the members in our Open EV Alliance. Together, we will build the next generation of mobility to transform the automotive industry.”
We are excited about the future and would like to invite you to join us in MIH Working Groups to transform the automotive industry and realize the Open EV Platform vision together.