Working together to build the next generation of Software Defined Vehicles and transform the automotive industry
- Today, at 2035 E-Mobility Taiwan exhibition, MIH with its partners demonstrates the realization towards the Software-Defined Vehicles future
- MIH showcases, for the first time, its Open EV Software Platform that enables automotive developers to create applications with smartphone-like development experience, in close partnership with Arm, Microsoft and Trend Micro
October 20, 2021 – Taipei, Taiwan – It has been one year since the Open EV Platform concept was introduced by the Foxconn Technology Group and MIH Consortium has taken on the mission since July of this year to create an open EV ecosystem to transform the automotive industry.
Today, at 2035 E-Mobility Taiwan exhibition, MIH with its strategic partners demonstrated the realization towards the Software-Defined Vehicles (SDV) future. Jack Cheng, CEO at MIH Consortium revealed the Open EV Software Platform in close partnerships with Arm, Microsoft and Trend Micro.
The initial focus of the Open EV Software Platform is to enable automotive developers to create applications with smartphone-like development experience on the cloud by reducing development dependency on hardware platforms. Key software platform demonstrations at the exhibition include
- Security Platform
- Cloud Native Dev Platform
- Advanced driver-assistance systems (ADAS) / Autonomous Driving (AD) Dev Platform
- Energy Management Platform
- EEA and Runtime
- Open Marketplace
“To shorten development cycle and lower entry barrier, MIH is creating an Open EV Platform for the Software-Defined Vehicles future. The Open EV Platform consists of hardware and software that covers the full lifecycle of EV development, testing and deployment. It also enables the creation of Open EV marketplace.” said William Wei, CTO at MIH Consortium.
The Open EV Platform will result in
- Parallel software and hardware development without rebuilding the whole vehicle from the bottom up, as applications will be compatible with the underlying software platforms on multiples skateboards, which can also be upgraded to newer generations.
- A shortened development cycle as the development platform moves into the cloud with hardware simulations allowing future experience and applications to be created without hardware platforms until late in the development and testing stages.
Highlights of the Open EV Platform exhibitions and partnerships at 2035 E-Mobility
- Three new concept cars by Foxtron Vehicle Technologies demonstrated the potential of the Foxtron Open EV Platform for collaboration by all ecosystem players. “The Open EV Platform provided by Foxtron is based on the principle of sharing the platform and the cost, so that brand customers can introduce new products to the market more quickly at a lower cost. I’m excited to see MIH continuing to evolve specifications in their Working Groups and form the basis for alliance partners to follow and accelerate the development of modularized and standardized parts and sub-systems.” – Andy Lee, CEO at Foxtron
- SOAFEE, initiated by Arm and now led by the SOAFEE Special Interest Group (SIG), is a new software architecture and open-source reference implementation, and two new reference hardware platforms, included as part of the Open EV Platform. “SOAFEE will support developers who face increasing code complexity, bringing the real-time and safety needs of automotive together with the advantages of a cloud-native approach. MIH shares our vision for accelerating the software-defined future of automotive and SOAFEE, as a part of the MIH Open EV Platform, will take us one step closer toward this vision.” – Chet Babla, vice president of automotive, Automotive and IoT Line of Business at Arm.
- Microsoft Azure provides advanced cloud computing technologies to create new experience and application development for Open EV Platform. “Microsoft Azure continues to provide innovative, secure and flexible cloud services for global partners and customers. We are excited to collaborate with MIH and other partners to unlocking innovative use cases such as Vehicle-to-Grid and building a marketplace for the booming EV industry,” said Cathy Yeh, Principal PM Group Manager, Industry Clouds + Solutions, Microsoft Corp. The close collaboration between MIH and Microsoft drew the attention of Taipower. “We expect that electric vehicles will grow substantially in the next few years, which will bring great challenges and opportunities to Taipower’s consumption and dispatch. Taipower is excited to participate in the cooperation with MIH and Microsoft. The innovative application of V2G (Vehicle to Grid) makes electric vehicles an auxiliary service that can be flexibly dispatched and join Taipower’s electricity trading platform to work towards Taiwan’s carbon reduction.” – Chung-Liang Chang, Vice President / Chief Digital Officer at Taipower
- Trend Micro provides the first development and implementation of Open EV Platform’s security framework and interface based on Secure by Design concept. “The most effective way to solve the cybersecurity of connected cars is to directly adopt a development platform with Secure by Design as the design basis and cybersecurity protection mechanism. To provide a safe and secure electric vehicle developer platform, Trend Micro has also established a specialized automotive cybersecurity team to work with MIH jointly to provide Open EV Platform with the state of the art security architecture.” – Max Cheng, Executive Vice President Core Technology and CIO at Trend Micro
- More of our exhibiting partners ADLINK, Cybavo, DCT, DFI, eTreego, Great Taiwan Gear, Hsin Chong Machinery Works, iNago, KAIFA Industry, Mobile Drive, NextDrive, Nidec, PanoSim, Rescale, Sentec, Taipower, Tier IV, TomTom, and YES Energy all demonstrated the realization towards the SDV future.
Jack Cheng, CEO at MIH Consortium said “In the next generation of mobility, user-centricity is the key. To enable developers to innovate and create great user experience and applications, we must work towards a Software-Defined Vehicles future by realizing the Open EV Platform vision. MIH is powered by the members in our Open EV Alliance. Together, we will build the next generation of mobility to transform the automotive industry.”
We are excited about the future and would like to invite you to join us in MIH Working Groups to transform the automotive industry and realize the Open EV Platform vision together.
It’s tomorrow! We are excited to demonstrate the latest innovation on Open EV Platform with our partners. Come and visit MIH on October 20~22 at Taipei Nangang Exhibition Center Hall 2. Visitor Registration: https://www.e-mobilityshow.com.tw
10/20 (Streaming Link)
- 11:30~12:00 – MIH Opening Event
- 14:00~14:30 – Open EV Platform for Software Defined Vehicle (SDV)
- 14:30~15:00 – Arm enables Software Defined Vehicle
10/21 Morning – [2035 智慧移動國際趨勢論壇]: Event Registration
10/21 (Streaming Link)
- 14:00~15:00 – Open EV Software Platform Deep Dive
- 15:00~15:30 – Carbon Neutrality Roadmap of MIH and its Partners
- 15:30~16:00 – Applications and Opportunities of mmWave Technology for Autonomous Car
10/22 Morning – E-mobility East Meets West | MIH x Anchor Taiwan: Event Registration
MIH is powered by the members in our Open EV Alliance. Together, we build the next generation of mobility to transform the automotive industry. Come and visit MIH and our members on Oct 20~22 in Taipei Nangang Exhibition Center Hall 2.
正值MIH滿一周年之際，竭誠邀各位前來參加本年度最大的智慧移動展 2035 E-Mobility Taiwan，我們將全員出動帶您參觀並了解 MIH 及其合作夥伴如何打造下一代智慧移動，以及如何迎接即將到來的汽車行業轉變。
On August 30, MIH hosted its first Advisory Committee meeting with our initial interim Advisory Committee. One of the goals for the meeting was to discuss and announce the initial MIH Intellectual Property (IP) Policy to guide the Working Group charter discussions.
We have updated our IP Policy and we look forward to kicking off the Working Groups with our Contributor Members.
This voluntarily announces the content adjustment of the “MIH Alliance Membership Agreement ” – Clearly and detailed definitions of the way of the initiative to notify when the content of the agreement changes, the scope of cooperative marketing activities, and the process of using the press release trademark. Regardless of whether it is a prospective member who has not completed the signing or the member who has completed the signing, the latest version of the “MIH Alliance Membership Agreement” will be applied to all from now on. For the content of the agreement, please visit Become a Member page.
On August 16, 2021, MIH hosted its first Technical Committee meeting with our initial interim Technical Committee. One of the goals for the meeting was to consolidate and announce the Working Groups to the MIH Contributor Members in order to kick off the Working Groups.
We have updated our Working Groups and Process and we look forward to transforming the mobility industry and build the next generation of EV, autonomous driving and service applications with our members.
Make Your Membership Count – Start Today!
MIH Consortium is gaining momentum with the work we do as it revolves around the realization and standardization of EV technologies in a collective effort. And to further the work we set out to achieve as MIH promotes the development of reference designs and standards based on the deliverables, it’s important that our members have a say.
We’re proud to announce that we fulfilled our promise to create an operating model with structure to support the MIH Open EV Alliance. Now, it’s time to ask our members to participate and start influencing our industry changing approach.
Membership Has Its Benefits
All Alliance members will have the opportunity to network at Interest Groups and events hosted by MIH and stay connected to receive our general news. We would love to invite you to join us to become a Contributor Member where you will have an opportunity to provide strategic direction and contribute technical expertise within the Working Groups to accelerate the evolution of EV technologies. These Working Groups will range from autonomous driving, connectivity and cloud services, security, energy management, to user experience. Please visit this page for a list of the latest Working Group candidates. You will also have access to the latest market insights, certification training, and IP consultation services.
We’re aiming for August 16th as the first committee meeting where we’ll look to YOU to provide input to which Working Group will be created and how you will contribute. If you are interested in joining one of the Working Group candidates, please fill out this MIH Group Application and Feedback Form. Or, if you would like to suggest a new Working Group, please fill out this MIH Group Suggestion Form.
As part of the member services we offer to Contributor Member, below is a list of public certification sessions from our partner SGS
- None at the moment
For Contributor Members, please check MIH Slack for member-exclusive sessions. If you are already a contributor member and have not joined MIH Slack, please contact us. Up to two colleagues from the same company may join MIH Slack.
As part of the member services we offer to Contributor Member, every week there will four 30-minute sessions on Friday 10am to 12pm (Taipei time).
For Contributor Members, please check MIH Slack to book a consultation session. If you are already a Contributor Member and have not joined MIH Slack, please contact us. Up to two colleagues from the same company may join MIH Slack.
If you missed the 6/25 MIH Consortium Opening Event, don’t worry. Here’s the streaming link.
Due to unforeseen circumstances with COVID-19 in Taiwan, we have moved our event online after thoughtful consideration. Please join us to learn the latest organization updates from MIH and exchange insights with industry experts to address the opportunities and challenges of today’s complex EV landscape. The event is for MIH members only.
25 June 2021, 2:00pm – 4:30pm (Taipei time)
2:00 PM – Opening
2:10 PM – Vision / Mission / Strategy Status / Next Steps
2:45 PM – Q&A / Break
3:05 PM – Guest Speaker
4:20 PM – Closing
Online event (online streaming link)
Last Update: June 24, 2021
If you missed the first MIH Alliance member gathering, don’t worry. Here’s the streaming link.
MIH Alliance releases its first-generation EV developer tool “EVKit” specifications. With open communication protocols and the use of drive-by-wire technology, the “EVKit” will provide Autonomous Driving developers an easily accessible interface to control the dynamics of the platform and assist with the system design and validation to vastly reduce the cost for development.